Skills for Impact - Fundraising
Skills for Impact Program, Elective module, MPA Year 1 Students
Fundraising is a three days long workshop aimed to familiarize students with fundraising theory, methodology and best practices.
Nowadays an increasing number of government functions are undertaken by civil society initiatives, so the hunt for donors and attention is increasingly competitive. Just like every aspect of organizational communication, an NGO's ability to create funds is deeply impacted by social media based communication.
During the workshop, students will learn to plan for a comprehensive fundraising strategy, use best practices to solicit individual and corporate donations, cultivate donor relations, avoid grant writing pitfalls and choose appropriate communication channels for a cause. Specific attention will be given to crowdfunding and the use of social media in fundraising.
After introduction to the basics of fundraising in the first day, students will work on the elements of a fundraising strategy, such as positioning a cause, choosing campaign elements, budgeting, mapping potential donors, pitch to various businesses, and creating a media mix. The second day will focus on cause related marketing and the importance of social media in fundraising. On the third day students will explore online fundraising methods and approaches to crowdfunding.
Each learning block will be followed by a small group exercise. Students are expected to leverage the knowledge obtained at the workshop to fund-raise for civil society organizations or for individual causes.
By the end of the workshop, students will
- be aware of classic fundraising techniques and best practices
- be able to position their NGO/cause as partners to businesses
- be able to design a comprehensive fundraising strategy for an organization
- be able to construct a step-by-step fundraising plan
- be able to work with donors, volunteers and the media
- be comfortable with various crowdfunding platforms
Students will be evaluated based on their activity during exercises, participation in discussions and in presentation of the in-class exam project at the end of the workshop.
In small groups of 4-5, they can choose from one of the following topics:
1) Designing and presenting a fundraising strategy
2) Designing and presenting a cause-related marketing campaign
3) Designing and presenting a crowdfunding campaign
The workshop will close with group evaluation of the projects presented.