Call for applications 2019: The George Soros Visiting Chair and the George Soros Visiting Practitioner Chair
The School of Public Policy (SPP) at Central European University (CEU) is seeking applications for its George Soros Visiting Chair and George Soros Visiting Practitioner Chair for the winter, fall, and spring terms. The next deadline is June 7, 2019.
Successful candidates will be scholars and/or practitioners who have demonstrated outstanding academic achievement or have a distinguished record of participation in the professional, journalistic, political, or civic world of public policy.
SPP is committed to diversifying its community and so welcomes applications from individuals who contribute to that diversity.
What we expect from the selected applicants:
- Join SPP for a 12-week academic term.
- Teach one or (preferably) two 2-credit elective seminars (12 sessions, 100 minutes each) for masters students enrolled in the School’s programs.
- Be available to students for consultations related to the taught seminar and topics within the Chair’s research expertise, and/or provide advice to students pursuing Applied Policy Project, Applied Policy Labs, internships, and other practice components of the School’s masters programs.
- Give a public lecture open to the entire CEU community within 2-3 weeks of arrival.
- Lead a faculty research seminar on a current topic of research.
- Offer a 90-minute off-the-record student session about his/her career and lessons for young leaders
What we offer:
We offer a competitive remuneration, as well as a dynamic and international academic environment.
- Monthly salary to match current salary up to USD 9,500/month (Hungarian tax and social security may be deducted). Minimum salary offered will be USD 3,000/month.
- A roundtrip plane ticket for travel to and from Budapest.
- A USD 2,000 travel budget to be used at your discretion during your stay at SPP.
- Health insurance in Hungary for the length of your stay in Hungary, if required.
- A private apartment at the CEU Wallenberg Guesthouse (http://rwgh.hu/) or equivalent.
- An office, phone, computer, library borrowing privileges, and access to SPP and CEU facilities and events.
- A research assistant (SPP student for up to 10 hour per week), if requested.
How to apply:
To apply for either the George Soros Visiting Chair or the George Soros Visiting Practitioner Chair, please submit a:
- 500-word narrative statement describing your professional achievements, and why you think you would make an especially valuable contribution to the intellectual life of the School of Public Policy.
- Your resume.
- Titles and descriptions of courses that you could teach at SPP.
- Any additional documentation you think the Selection Committee should consider when making this prestigious appointment.
- Please also indicate when (fall, winter, and/or spring of which academic year) you are interested in spending an academic term at SPP.
About the Program: The George Soros Visiting Chair program was established with generous contributions from admirers of CEU founder and honorary chairman, George Soros, to bring distinguished public policy scholars and practitioners together with CEU students from around the globe. Past George Soros Visiting Chairs include Ireland’s former deputy prime minister, Eamon Gilmore; renowned Indian activist Aruna Roy; eminent global development scholar Stephen Chan, OBE; environmental law professor Carmen Gonzalez; South African human rights lawyer and transitional justice expert Yasmin Sooka; and former UN undersecretary general Karin Landgren.